How to Lane Against Jayce in League of Legends
Jayce, a melee Bruiser/Assassin and AD Marksman, is considered one of the best Top Lane Champions in League of Legends. Facing Jayce in Lane can be challenging, but with the right strategies, you can beat him. Here’s a guide to help you navigate the Lane and come out victorious against Jayce.
Jayce’s Abilities: The Best of Both Worlds
Jayce has a unique kit that allows him to switch between a melee and ranged stance, offering him a variety of tools. His melee stance focuses on Bruiser/Assassin all-ins and attacks, while his ranged stance allows him to deal damage from a safe distance. Here’s a breakdown of his abilities:
- Passive – Hextech Capacitor: Jayce gains bonus movement speed and ghosting when switching between his Hammer and Cannon.
- Melee Q – To The Skies: Jayce jumps at his target, deals AOE damage, and applies a slow.
- Melee W – Lightning Field: Jayce activates a lightning field around him, damaging nearby opponents.
- Melee E – Thundering Blow: Jayce hits an enemy target with his Hammer, knocking them back and dealing damage.
- Ranged Q – Shock blast: Jayce fires a lightning ball from his Cannon, dealing massive damage.
- Ranged W – Hyper Charge: Jayce gains bonus attack speed on his next few attacks.
- Ranged E – Acceleration Gate: Jayce opens a lightning gate that speeds up all units passing through it.
- Ultimate – Transform Mercury Cannon/Hammer: Jayce can transform between his Cannon and Hammer, gaining different abilities and bonuses.
Laning Against Jayce – The Early Game
Jayce is strong in the early game with his unlocked Ultimate and double ability design. As a melee Champion, you need to play safe against him. Dodge his ranged Q and use the bushes to your advantage. Minions act as a shield, so position yourself behind them. Avoid trading when his abilities are on cooldown but watch out for his E, which has %HP damage.
After Level 6
If you survive the early game, you should be fine against Jayce in the long run. Denying him a decisive win in Lane can make it difficult for him to scale. Coordinate with your Jungler for ganks and take advantage of his lack of escapes. Jayce can snowball in the mid-game, so bait out his crucial abilities before going for an all-in.
Jayce’s late game depends on how well he did in the previous stages of the match. With a lead, Jayce can be brutal, but if denied, he becomes underwhelming. Even a weak Jayce can deal significant damage, so don’t underestimate him. Don’t squander your lead and be aware of shutdown opportunities.
Countering Jayce’s Abilities
To counter Jayce’s abilities, use the minions for protection, leverage bushes to avoid targeted attacks, bait out his E cooldown, and play more against him to gain experience. The more you play against Jayce, the better you’ll understand his abilities and how to counter them.
Top Lane Counters for Jayce
There are several Champions that work well against Jayce in the Top Lane:
Malphite, a Tank, is excellent against Jayce due to his high Armor and Resistance. His passive shield helps mitigate Jayce’s early damage, and his W ability can deal massive damage to Jayce, especially as Malphite builds Armor. Malphite becomes nigh unkillable in the late game.
Ornn excels against Jayce with his high Armor and Resistance. His abilities scale with HP and resistances, making him a formidable opponent for Jayce. Ornn can easily win trades against Jayce and become an unstoppable force in the late game.
Quinn, a ranged Top Lane Champion, can harass Jayce with her high mobility and burst potential. She can deny farm and zone Jayce effectively. Quinn’s agility allows her to outmaneuver Jayce and win trades. Consider picking Quinn as a counter to Jayce.
What About Jayce Mid?
Jayce can also be played as a Mid Laner, and he performs well in that role. However, traditional Mid Lane Mages have the advantage against Jayce. Champions like Akshan, Fizz, and Lux can easily defeat Jayce with their high base damage, mobility, and range. Consider picking these Champions to counter Jayce in the Mid Lane.
Best Items Against Jayce
The best items to build against Jayce depend on your Champion’s role, either AD or AP:
- Plated Steelcaps: Offers extra Armor and reduces damage from basic attacks.
- Dead Man’s Plate: Provides HP, Armor, and bonus Movement Speed.
- Guardian’s Angel: Gives you an extra life to survive Jayce’s burst damage.
- Death’s Dance: Situational item for bonus AD and increased survivability.
- Seeker’s Armguard: Provides early game Armor and builds into Zhonya’s Hourglass.
- Stopwatch: Offers the same effect as Zhonya’s Hourglass.
- Zhonya’s Hourglass: Stops burst damage and allows you to survive Jayce’s all-ins.
- Archangel’s Staff / Seraph’s Embrace: Gives a shield to mitigate bursts.
- Riftmaker: Offers AP, Health, and Omnivamp to sustain against Jayce.
Opt for items that give you HP, Armor, and overall survivability against Jayce’s burst damage.
Jayce may be a strong Champion, but with the right strategies, you can defeat him in Lane. Play safe in the early game, coordinate with your team, and focus on surviving his burst. Counter his abilities by using minions, bushes, and baiting his attacks. Consider picking Champions like Malphite, Ornn, or Quinn to counter Jayce in the Top Lane. Additionally, traditional Mid Lane Mages like Akshan, Fizz, and Lux can easily overpower Jayce in the Mid Lane. Build items that give you HP, Armor, and survivability. Good luck on the Summoner’s Rift!